Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Coming Soon: A New Addition To The Family!


Well the decision has been made. I've been thinking, and thinking, and thinking about it and I feel the timing is just right. I'm a little nervous about the commitment but I think we are ready.  Talon and I arrrrrrrrrrrrre............getting a dog! :)

Now this may not seem like a big deal, but this is actually a really is a HUGE deal, on so many levels. First let me start by saying, the last time I got a dog for Talon, it lasted 6 hours. I was young, a new mom, Talon was barely walking, yet his dad and I thought it was the perfect time to get a puppy. Wrong! After a few hours of the chewing, peeing everywhere, and the constant whining, I decided Talon doing that was enough to handle so there was no way I could handle a puppy doing that too. Within 6 hours, our brand new $400 puppy was in a new home, and I was relieved.

Let me clarify, I love dogs, I really do, but they are a lot of work and commitment. But it's not the work part that worries me, it's the commitment part. We all know that commitment isn't my thing. I mean, I've been single for over 4 years. Heck, I can't even decide if I want to grow my hair up or keep it short. But a dog is a huge commitment. I love the fact that Talon and I can come and go as we please. We take a couple of family trips a year, we spend weekends at the ballpark, and when he's with his Dad, most weekends I'm in the city, and by city, I mean Louisville. So if we get a dog, that will have to slow down a little. Am I ready for that?

After much thinking, I decided the answer is yes. And there is only one main reason for that:: Talon. Talon absolutely loves dogs. And Talon is so good with dogs. He's very sweet and loving to animals, and despite the one that recently attacked him, dogs really do love Talon. And furthermore, dogs make Talon feel safe. We've been in our house for about 2 years now and he still gets scared at night and I truly feel having a dog next to him would make him feel safe. 

When I was Talon's age, we got our family dog, Jordan. That dog was my best friend. Wherever I went, he went. At one point, we even had the same hair style. I wish I were kidding, but I'm not. He had curly white hair, I had a white-blonde perm.  I'll dig up the picture next time I go to my parents. Talon is so much like me in so many ways so I know Talon will be the same way with his dog. And I want that for Talon.
With that being said, Talon and I are on a dog hunt. We are going to search every dog shelter, high and low, until we find the perfect dog for to add to our crazy family. Wish us luck!

And I'll end this post with a picture of me and my dog from my childhood, Jordan.  

 
 

1 comment: